||Chemicals / Complex Chemical Agents /
(This chemicals section is currently
predominantly used in Wildpro to link
different data types and demonstrate inter-relationships. It does not
contain detailed information on the chemical itself.)
combinations, tamed iodine, e.g. povidone-iodine
- Iodine in combination with a solubilizing organic complex (carrier).
- Free iodine is released slowly when the iodophore is diluted with water.
- Usually the iodine is in combination with surfactants having detergent
- Water soluble, stable with normal storage.
- No offensive odour.
- Iodophores produce initial staining but not permanent staining.
- Most effective on cleaned surfaces.
- May be used for disinfecting surfaces in incubators and hatchers, feed
trays and water containers, footwear, buildings.
- Also used as a skin antiseptic, e.g. in pre-operative preparation of
- Broad bacteriocidal and fungicidal action. Effective against spores as
well as vegetative forms of bacteria.
- Also has viricidal properties.
- Non-toxic and non-irritating in normal use (minimal toxicity).
- Occasional hypersensitivity reactions.
B49, B64.w1, B135)
- Dip the toes of the rabbit in povidone iodine several times daily
for weeks. In the treatment of fungal infection of the nail bed.
Ferrets - Mustela
putorius furo - Ferret:
Apply topically to the feet, or dip the feet, in the treatment of nail
bed infections secondary to pedal mange. (B631.21.w21)
Return to Top of