- Toxic effects have been reported following application of high
concentrations of these products (sprays or spot-ons) on rabbits). (B609.2.w2,
- Note: pyrethrins are poorly absorbed through the
gastrointestinal tract and not significantly absorbed through the
skin. They are absorbed via the respiratory route.
Treatment of topically applied or contacted poisons in rabbits aims to reduce absorption, increase excretion, control of
toxicity such as seizures, and support the rabbit: (J213.11.w1)
- Bathe the rabbit using a mild shampoo. (see: Bathing Rabbits)
- Place the rabbit into a suitably-sized container such as a
- Have one person to restrain the rabbit and one person to bathe
- Use a spray nozzle, warm water (102 -105 ° F) and baby
shampoo or a mild puppy/kitten shampoo.
- Massage the shampoo down to the level of the skin to remove
toxin which may have penetrated that far.
- Rinse well.
- Towel dry then place in a warm cage until fully dry.
- Monitor body temperature carefully to avoid hyperthermia
from hot air driers or hypothermia from evaporative cooling. Keep
at body temperature 100 - 102.5 ° F.
- Signs of hyperthermia: auricular vessel dilatation, nasal flare,
increased respiratory rate.
- Signs of hypothermia: shivering, mucus membranes pale, rabbit
- Copiously lavage the eyes with sterile saline. (J213.11.w1)
- Consider giving activated charcoal in case the rabbit has ingested
the chemical while grooming. (J213.11.w1)
- Diuresis. (J213.11.w1)
- Force-feeding. (J213.11.w1)
- If seizures occur, control using midazolam or
- Additional treatment: Antioxidants may be useful, e.g. Vitamin C,
Vitamin E, selenium, zinc and isoflavones. (J213.11.w1)
- Education of owners regarding the potential risks associated with
use of these
- Note: a large overdose would be required to cause toxicity.
However, owners should be informed regarding the potential risks if
excessive quantities are used. (V.w5)